Monday, May 17, 2010

Half-full OR Half-empty???

When you see this what do you think?
It is a common question. 
Most people either see it half-full (optimistic) or half-empty (pessimistic).
Pessimism is expecting the worst possible outcome.
Optimism is to anticipate the best possible outcome.
Which way do you lean?

I don't feel that people are all one way, some fall more on one side than the other but have at least a little of both in them.  I will tell you where I feel I fall.....a pessimist.  At least that is what I thought until I learned more about myself.  I am more pessimistic when it comes to myself but more optimistic when it comes to dealing with other people either in thought or when talking to them.  One of my spiritual gifts is encouragement, well you can't be a pessimist and still be an encourager--right. 

I am daily working toward growing in truth and that is the Word of God.  When I think on the truth all day it becomes more difficult to be pessimistic....this is good.  As I grow I am learning to think the truth about myself and I start to think of the positive and all the blessings in my life.

There is a saying "Hope for the best but expect the worst".  Once we put that "but" in there we just negated the hope that we should have.  I am guilty of this.  I had a wise young lady remind me that sometimes what we think is best is really not the best and sometimes what we think is the worst is really for our best.  Only God knows what is best for us.  So I now just hope for the best and know that the best is whatever God's will is for my life.

I am learning & growing; a work in progress.  I do feel that I am more of an optimist now about myself, others and life in general because I am growing in the Truth.

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true...think about such things." 
Philippians 4:8
I have this verse (the whole thing) posted on my mirror, computer and in my purse to remind me everyday to think on these things.

Living in the truth brings joy and peace!! 
That is exactly where I want to be.
Where do you want to be???





No comments:

Post a Comment