Saturday, May 15, 2010

Fasting from Worry

About 2 months ago I found an article in the February addition of Journey which is a devotional for women.  The title is The Fast That Changed My Life by Cindi Wood.  In this devotional she tells how she "fasted from worry" and here I am going to tell you how I used her wisdom and ideas to do my own worry fast.

If you are like me you worry about everything:  kids, marriage, money, health, family, friends.....the list could go on and on, at least for me.  What has worrying done for me--NOTHING!!  It keeps me stuck and unable to move forward into a happy, joy-filled life.  In Matthew 6:27 it says "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" (NIV).  So there is no benefit to worry.  Also in Matthew 6:34 it says "Therefore don't worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own".  Well that is so true.  I worry about what is going to happen tomorrow when I have enough to deal with today.  This is not good.

So on March 19th, 2010 I started my "Fasting from Worry" Box


I decided to do this one week at a time.  So I sat down, wrote out one worry per little piece of paper, prayed over it and then just gave it to God.  I then put it in my box and it was no longer mine to worry about.
I placed my box on my dresser so that I would be reminded to NOT worry about things.  I have kept a journal and updated each week.  I will say the first week was rough.  I had a spiritual attack and it was NOT fun.  I even thought of giving up but was NOT going to let Satan win in this.  So I went on and have been doing this almost every week (now to every 2 weeks) since then and I have been blessed more than I could even imagine. 

I can't say that I don't worry, I do, I just find that when I start to worry about something I remind myself about my box and that I am to give all my worries to God and I am able to do that--most of the time.  I am not perfect, it is not always easy.  God has really grown me and taught me a lot about myself since I have been doing this.  I find that even things that are not in my box that pop up as a worry I am able to stop and give them over to God.

If you would like more information about this please let me know.  I would love to share.
This weeks (2 weeks) box


It is just awesome to see how God works when we place our worries in His hands!!  Free's me to not have to worry about things but I am able to move forward in life with a peace knowing God is in control.
It is ALL good!!

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."  1 Peter 5:7



No comments:

Post a Comment