Saturday, May 15, 2010

Defining Truth

Since I titled this Daily Growing in Truth I thought I would start with defining truth.  Here is what I found:

Truth (noun)
Truthfulness, Honesty, Fact, Actuality, Loyalty, Trustworthiness, Sincerity, Genuineness, Reality, Integrity, Fidelity

These are just a few examples I found between Websters Dictionary and Your Dictionary.com

As I have found I have grown up with a lot of lies.  Lies about life, marriage, family, myself and even God.  These lies tend to take root in the brain and live there as though they are truth.  Many do not even realize how much of what they think or believe are lies (or at least not close to the truth).  We grow with tapes that are played over and over in our heads that make us think that what we "know" to be true is true but a lot of the time it is not.

Life is a journey from birth to death and we are all learning along the way.  Hopefully we grow day-by-day but for most of us we will have times when we take a step backwards or become "stuck" where we are at instead of growing.

I have found the only way to grow in the truth is to know the real Truth and that is with a relationship with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  Once we have that relationship then we can grow in His Word and learn daily more about what the truth really is.

Even as I follow Christ and surrender daily to live for him I still fall back into those old lies that are in my head.  As I continue to post I will tell you how I have been working to change those old tapes and replace them with new ones.

So join me as I grow in truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment