Monday, April 16, 2012

Update.....

Well the robin eggs all hatched.  Not sure exactly when as I was out-of-town and asking my husband to check on them.  On the 9th he did not look but didn't hear anything so assumed they were still eggs.

I returned late on the 11th so the next morning I check and there were 4 little babies in the nest.
By the looks and what I have read they were probably a day or 2 old at this point.

They are growing fast.  In my reading I learned they usually leave the nest about 2 weeks after hatching.  I can see why as they are starting to get to big for the nest. 

They are funny because when I go to look at them they stick their heads and mouths up like this (above picture).   I am sure they are expecting mom to feed them.

We also have a nest in the back which we cannot see into but can hear the little ones.

This morning I went to check on them and they filled the nest, have feathers starting and mama came up right  above my head to let me know I better leave her babies alone.

From now on I might just have to watch at a distance knowing that in about a week those little ones will be taking flight and leaving the nest.

I am very happy mama robin decided to build her nest right at my front door.


No comments:

Post a Comment